Step-By-Step Test Proctoring Guide: Student & Faculty Information
May 2013 Revision
eduKan is committed to preserving the academic integrity of its courses and has instituted a policy and procedure to address this issue. As stated in the policy, the following statement must be incorporated into every eduKan course syllabus:
eduKan requires all eduKan students to complete the BioSig ID Registration and a minimum of six validations prior to the first “gated” exam in each course. The instructor has the option to randomly select or designate students to take a proctored assessment at any time during the course. Students who do not complete a BioSig ID registration and validation by mid-term of the course will be required to have the final exam, quiz, or other assessment proctored. If the student does not show up for the scheduled assessment, fails to complete the paperwork prior to the scheduled assessment, or refuses to take the final, a failing grade (F) will be assigned for the course.”
The student will be required to arrange for an acceptable proctor (see requirements below) and schedule the test time and location with the proctor prior to the assessment date. On the scheduled day of the assessment, the proctor will provide the student with the necessary password to enter that assessment along with other instructions that have been sent by the instructor. The proctor must complete the “Proctor Completes” section of the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form and e-mail or fax the form upon completion and submission of the proctored final assessment.
Directions for Students
Please read carefully the information below, as it outlines eduKan’s test proctoring policy in further detail.
- Students are responsible to arrange for a proctor for the final exam. Students should first make contact with the most accessible eduKan member college testing center to set up proctoring. (See list below). If this arrangement is not feasible, the student must arrange for a proctor from the list shown in #2.
EDUKAN MEMBER COLLEGE’S TESTING CENTER CONTACTS
College Contact Person Email Address Phone Barton County Community College Lisa Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org 620-792-9344 Colby Community College Megan Allen email@example.com 785-460-5480 Dodge City Community College Linda Burke firstname.lastname@example.org 620-227-9357 Garden City Community College Rafaela Arana email@example.com 620-276-9654 Seward County Community College Sharon Brockmann firstname.lastname@example.orgTesting is located in A103 in the Hobble Academic Building 620-417-1042 Pratt Community College Proctors:
Pratt Wichita eLearning Center Anna Duxlar email@example.com 7920 West Kellogg, Suite #105 Wichita, KS 67209 316-927-3780
- Acceptable proctor sites and a list of potential proctors can be selected from the following:
Acceptable Proctor Sites: List of Potential Proctors: College or university Accredited college or university administrator or designated testing administrator K-12 schools K-12 school counselor or administrator Public library Certified librarian U.S. Military bases Testing Control Officer/Unit Education Officer Educational Service Centers (See attached list) Center personnel Commercial Learning and/or Testing Centers (i.e. Sylvan Learning Centers**) Center personnel
**Please note that not all Sylvan Learning Centers will proctor exams. Commercial testing centers will charge for their services as may some other colleges and organizations. If you live in Kansas and are near an educational service center, you may contact the center to proctor your final assessment. Contact information for the service centers are:
Service Center Address Phone/FAX Number ESSDACK – Education Services & Staff Development Association of Central, KS Main Office – 1500 East 11th Ave., Suite 200 Hutchinson, KS 67501 Phone: 620-663-9566Fax: 620-663-5734 Northeast KS Educational Service Center 1220 WalnutOskaloosa, KS 66066 Phone: 785-863-3410Fax: 785-863-3143 Smoky Hill Education Service Center 605 East CrawfordSalina, KS 67401 Phone: 785-825-9185Fax: 785-825-9195 Southcentral KS Educational Service Center P.O. Box 16013939 Diagonal Rd.Clearwater, KS 67026 Phone: 620-584-3300Fax: 620-584-3307 Southeast Kansas Educational Service Center P.O. Box 189947 W 47 HighwayGirard, KS 66743 Phone: 620-724-6281 Southwest Plains Regional Service Center Box 1010900 Lark Ave.Sublette, KS 67877 Phone: 620-675-8800Fax: 620-675-8396
Excluded from approval as proctors:
- Faculty and/or instructors (includes substitute and para-professionals)
- Athletic department staff (director, assistant director, coaches, athletic department advisors, etc.)
3. By the mid-point of the course, the student who is required to have the final exam proctored must fill in the Student Information and Proctor Information sections in the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form and return it to their instructor as per the instructions provided. The instructor must approve the proctor. Failure to complete this step could result in a failing grade for the course. 4. Once approved, the instructor will e-mail or fax the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form to the designated proctor. The form will have the password for access, instructions for administering the assessment and other directions as needed for administering the assessment. Upon completion of the final assessment the proctor must sign and return the completed form to the instructor according to the instructor’s instructions. 5. On the day of testing, the student must arrive at the test site with a photo I.D. and supporting materials allowed by the instructor. 6. Upon completion of each assessment, the completed eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form must be signed by the proctor and sent back to the instructor either as an email attachment or by fax. If neither of these options is available, then the proctor must mail the form to the instructor immediately upon completion of the final assessment.
Directions for Faculty
- Students who are required to have the final assessment proctored are to complete the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form and submit to you no later than the mid-point of your course.
- Once you receive the form, you will determine whether or not the proctor is acceptable. If it is not, the student needs to be notified and another proctor needs to be selected. If you accept the proctor, you can e-mail or fax the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form to the proctor.
- The eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion form must include all instructions for test administration. Do not send by separate email. If necessary add an additional page to the form with instructions but make sure it all goes together as one document to the proctor. These may include (but are not limited to):
- Date and times of assessment will be available
- Special instructions for administrating assessment – open book, closed book, open note, time limit, etc.
- A password to access the assessment needs to be communicated with the proctor prior to the assessment.
- Communicate with the proctor that the EduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form needs to be signed (no typed names). If the proctor has an electronic signature, the form can be sent via e-mail. If not, they will need to sign and fax the form to you or the proctor could scan the signed document and save as a .pdf file and/or .jpeg and attach to an email and send back to the instructor
- If possible, provide the proctors with a “back up” written assessment in the event there are technical or computer problems.
- Emails in place of the proctor form are only allowed when a course has more than one student who will be using the same consortium college testing center for the proctored assessment. i.e. A course has two students wanting to utilize the testing center with Colby CC. The instructor formulates an email with a thorough explanation of the test to be proctored along with the student’s names and their email addresses. Documentation of a successful proctored assessment will be the completed final assessment in the course. Testing center supervisors may send a confirmation email to the instructor.
- The instructor will maintain the eduKan Proctor Agreement and Completion Form for one semester following the final assessment.